Our First Travel Day: Long Beach

While it’s not my first time traveling to the left coast, it has been so long since I’ve done it that it might as well be my first time.

Since I’m going to be gone for so long, I decided it would be more cost effective to leave my car at home. I used the Curb app to schedule a taxi. It will only let you schedule for the current or next day, so I had to schedule a reminder to remind me to schedule a taxi. Lol


Curb is really easy to use and you can even pay for the trip (including tip) right from the app. They give out discounts for referrals, so if you’re using the app, share with those you know so you can get a little monetary assistance.

Once I made the reservation, I received an email to confirm. In my city, Curb contacted the Yellow Cab Company. I arranged for the taxi to arrive at 10:15, but he was a little late. When I called to find out where he was, the automated system knew it was me and told me that he was 0.2 miles from my house. Right after I hung up, the driver called to ask for directions. He had passed the house. He was a really nice guy and got us to the airport in no time. I’m only 3 exits away on the interstate, so it was a quick drive.

We flew on the new American Airlines. Our trip west was on US Airways and was a direct flight. Check-in was a breeze. My bag weighed 52.5lbs, but they didn’t even blink an eye. I guess they charge for overweight bags if you are significantly over the mark. My Mom has the TSA Pre✔️ and was able to breeze through security in less than 5 minutes. I, on the other hand, was stuck in a long line. I told the officer that was monitoring our line that Mom had time to take a nap while she waited. Lol

By the time we got to the gate, our flight was boarding, so our timing was pretty perfect. I will say, the flight was way too long. I mean, I wanted a direct flight, but who wants to be stuck in one spot for 5.5 hours straight? I would prefer connecting flights if I have to go this far again. Luckily, that’s what we have coming back.

The flight was uneventful and I was able to watch the movie God’s Not Dead. I thought it was going to be a sappy, religious movie, but it was actually pretty good. It helped while away the hours. I only had one snack, so I had to purchase something else. I bought Pringles for $4. That’s just unnecessarily expensive. I looked at the meals they had, but I didn’t like the options. They would have been more filling and satisfying than those chips. And the chips were cold. 😏

Once we landed and got our luggage, we headed over to Super Shuttle to catch a ride. I also reserved this prior to our trip. They got us checked in and I immediately received a confirmation text letting me know they had a van coming. We only waited about 10 minutes before the van to Long Beach came. We had a good ride and driver. It took about 30 minutes. I passed exits of some of the famous streets I’ve heard of like Crenshaw and La Cienega. The amount of traffic on the 405 was interesting and CA has an interesting way of merging traffic on to the highway: they have a traffic light. Each green allows three cars to merge. Interesting.

I’ll continue Long Beach on the next post. It includes a trip to Wal

Until next I write,

Your Cruise Girl

4 thoughts on “Our First Travel Day: Long Beach

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s